Wednesday 23 March 2011

Old biddies, trolleys and Mr X Stitch

At the weekend, I went to the Stitch and Craft Show at Olympia, and was amazed at how busy it was. There were women everywhere! I say women, there were some men there too but they were greatly outnumbered (my Hubby was one of them, bless him but we did go to the Dr Who exhibition afterwards to make up for it).

I was prepared for it to be busy and I was also prepared to queue for the 'good' stalls, but I was not prepared for the sheer desperation some of those women to be at the front of the queue. OMG, let me tell you there was some serious elbowing, shoving and pushing going on, and who were the worst culprits? The little old ladies. I tell you, never underestimate an old biddy. There were loads of women (young and old) with granny trolleys which really did not help the situation. One woman even had a wheelie suitcase big enough for a family of 4 to use for a month's holiday! What she was doing with it, I don't know but I lost count of the number of  times I got run over by said suitcase, I just could not get away from this woman...

The stalls were quite varied but I was disappointed in the lack of 'show discounts' which you usually get at these events. I was expecting mega cheap prices for supplies etc but was kinda disappointed. This meant that all I bought was a 6mm crochet hook, and a pair of fabulous bag handles. Yeah, I know 'last of the big spenders'!! The fabric stalls were fab but pricey and my local shop stocks the same at about £3 cheaper, and it's all about the price these days.







You can't really tell from the picture but they are clear plastic with silver glitter, and they are right up my street! I've no idea what I'm going to do with them but they were a bargainous price so just had to have them esp as they were the last pair!



I also met Mr X Stitch (he's The Man when it comes to cross stitch) and saw his gallery of cross stitch projects contributed to by his fellow stitchers. These were fabulous and a bit off the wall which is what's so fab about them. My fave was the one with a big seagull that said 'I like boobies'. Totally random! Check out the Mr X Stitch Facebook page for some great pics of these mini masterpieces.

Hubby commented on how manly Mr X Stitch's work is to which I replied 'a lot of men cross stitch and embroider you know' the response was a raised eyebrow and a 'hmphf'. Seeing the gallery of projects reminded me how little cross stitching I have done recently (none since finishing that nativity scene) and so I resolved to look out some charts and do something a bit more subversive with my next project. 

All in all, the Stitch and Craft Show was def worth going to but next year I will definitely remember to sharpen my elbows before I go. And I might take a granny trolley to use as a battering ram, as that seems to be the norm...

2 comments:

  1. Wait. Did you see my post about this last week?
    I was one of Mr X Stitch's volunteers on the Sunday - I was there all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went on the Saturday. Bad timing, we could have met up! The Mr X Stitch stand was really cool, they def need more like that at the show!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, leave me a comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...