Wednesday 20 April 2011

Yarn Fairy Pays a Visit

Last week I commented on The Girl's blog and lamented on the fact that the Yarn Fairy has not visited me. But after that I remembered she has visited me recently and left me with a massive supply of scrummy yummy yarns. Sorry Yarn Fairy, I should not have forgotten such a generous delivery. Apologies.

As The Girl mentioned, the Yarn Fairy visits us in many forms (not like the Tooth Fairy who is always the Tooth Fairy). This time, the Yarn Fairy appeared to me in the form of my Granny's wool stash and I was allowed to choose anything I wanted, which was pretty fun. Now, my Granny was a prolific knitter and crocheter and I cannot begin to explain how much wool there still is in the house. I'm talking bags and bags and bags of the stuff!! The bags are so large, I struggled to move them. Anyway, we tipped them out and then 'oohed and aahed' over the pretty colours and textures. There was even the odd bit left from jumpers and cardis that Granny knitted in the past, so it was a bit of a trip down memeory lane too.

After much deliberating, I came away with these lovelies:


I probably have about 15-20 balls of each colour so quite a stash! So much so that it is living in my loft for the time being as have nowhere else to put it! A giant bin bag full of wool!!

The original labels are still on them and some even have the prices on them. The tangerine colour is priced at 20p per ball...purchased in the 80's when 20p bought you more than it does these days! Impressive.




The wool I am using for my giant granny square blanket is also from this great stash. But my favourite of all has got to be this little ball:


My Granny made herself a knitted twin set (again, in the 80's/90's) in this lovely electric blue wool, and this is all that is left of it. As soon as I spotted it I knew I had to have it. No idea what I'm going to make with it (if anything) but I just love the colour and the texture too cos it's a bit bobbly. 


So all in all, the Yarn Fairy has been very kind to me, so Thank You! The Yarn Fairy also visited my Mum but I don't have pics of her stash yet. Pics to follow at some point.

2 comments:

  1. God I love that yarn fairy. She doesn't half get around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eagerly awaiting her next surprise visit :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, leave me a comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...