Monday 9 May 2011

Carrots, in a cake??

Today is my Mum's birthday so I thought I'd share a few pics of the carrot cake I made for her. Needless to say, there is none left. Cake does stick around for long in our house. We have a saying 'Have cake, will eat it' and never is this more true than when I've made carrot cake!!

We did manage to take some pics before the Cake Monsters (ie all of us) tucked in and scoffed the lot!

Cake at eye level

Pretty swirl!


I think I made a pretty good job of the icing this time. I always struggle to spread the icing neatly as I prefer a piping bag but cream cheese frosting is not good in a piping bag... Anyway, I remembered to use my turn table this time and managed to get a nice swirl all the way up the sides and on the top! If you ice a lot of cake, I def recommend a turn table, it is such a great tool!!

Walnuts decorate the side and denote the size a slice should be

Obligatory pic with the candles lit


It looks like carrot cake is the birthday cake of choice in my family. Whenever I ask someone what they want for their cake they always say 'Ooh make me a carrot cake please!' I usually reply saying I can make other cakes too but I don't mind though cos I love carrot cake too! And the best part about making the cake for a party is that you know you'll love it and it's always me who asks 'Is it cake time yet?'

NB. The carrot cake recipe is from my trusted Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and it's a failsafe recipe!!

2 comments:

  1. Argh that cake looks so amazing, look at that frosting!! So so neat. I'm still trying to get to my grips with my piping bag, a turn table is like a thing of dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Piping bags are great once you get the hang of them, just takes practice. A turntable is the best thing ever but try a big tin (like a Roses sweetie tin) on a tea towel as a cheaper alternative. It's not quite as good but gives you the height and ability to turn the cake easier.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, leave me a comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...